Homeowners in the south east are reminded to be aware of the possibly of damage to properties during the predicted cold snap and stormy weather which forecasters have warned could see temperatures plummet to below zero in coming weeks.
Forecasters have predicted that Ireland is facing a freezing December and January in particular, with temperatures to hit -10C accompanied by 100kph winds.
Sean Manicle of Manicle Property Claims in Kilkenny has outlined a number of tips that householders can adhere to in order to avoid damage to their property during wintry conditions.
- All pipes and tanks should be fully lagged<span “font-size:10.0pt;font-family:inherit;color:#1f497d;=”” mso-fareast-language:en-ie”=””>.
- Most damage tends to occur while people are away so turn off water supply before you leave
- If you are away, leave your heating on a timer to prevent frost damage to water pipes.
- Open the attic trap door to allow heat into the attic.
- Ask a friend to check the house on a daily basis while you are away.
- Make sure the whole family know what to do if a burst pipe causes a flood (Stop valve locations and turn off electricity).
- Be particularly vigilant when the thaw comes as that’s went a lot of leaks become apparent.
Mr Manicle advises homeowners to seek a professional however, if affected by property damage or loss of property through theft, over the winter months as a loss assessor will ensure the best pay-out for the client.
Manicle Property Claims offers a complete claims management service, providing invaluable support, professional help and advice at a time of crisis. Acting on behalf of the victim, MPC will ensure the claim is settled fairly and as quickly as possible with a highly-experienced Loss Assessor as the client’s single point-of-contact.<span “color:#1f497d;mso-fareast-language:=”” en-ie”=””>
It’s never too late to contact a loss assessor, as they can take over a claim even if an individual has already begun proceedings, or even if the person is unhappy with a settlement received.
For immediate advice, call Manicle Property Claims, 10 Ormonde Street, Kilkenny on 086 6655155 for a free half-hour consultation.